[OM] Re: om3 (mechanical?) problems fixed thanks you to Mark Dapoz

Subject: [OM] Re: om3 (mechanical?) problems fixed thanks you to Mark Dapoz
From: James Michael King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:18:39 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, John Hermanson wrote:

> Not to be a spoil sport, but if the latches are greasy, it will jam the same
> way repeatedly.

I am willing to take this risk in this case because it is my spare spare
body and was used a lot by my father and is well worn. (I have
a near mint om4Ti with a 3 year warantee and a well used 4t) I am
therefore not prepared to spend much money on the om3. Also the om3 has a
problem that I can't select a
speed below 1/15th. When I turn the shuter speed ring going bellow 15th the
view finder display still says 1/15th. I don't think it is a display
problem because looking at the shutter because everything bellow 1/15th
looks like 1.15 including B. I was told that this is usually
the speed govenor and than 75% of them are not ecconomically repairable. I
opened up the mount and had a look and the metal cog which should connect
with a ring that fits into the shuter speed ring is indeed very very stiff
in places.
*If* the om3 was in good condition and I did not have a near mint om4ti I
would consider repairing it. Bearing in mind the om4 can do everything the
om3 can and additionally was an
automatic mode....

thank you all for advice and epair suggestions
James