[OM] Re: BW Paper revisited part II

Subject: [OM] Re: BW Paper revisited part II
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 19:30:58 +1000
At 08:40 PM 6/10/2004 -0700, AG wrote:
> > I used to use Panatomic X then it was
> > dropped.  Then I went to using Agfa 25.  Then it was Pan F.  I
> > also used Tech Pan for a while.  All now gone...  So it looks like I'll
> > be settling on Tmax100 and Tri-X.
>
>Yikes!  I'm going to suggest that you convert to Kodak BW 400.
>I'd hate for your "black cloud" nature cause the discontinuance
>of Tmax100 or Tri-X.  <smile>

LOL!  I'm certainly feeling that black cloud following me, it explains my
mood in regard to this subject.  But I think Tmax100 and Tri-X will be
around for a while yet seeing as how the b&w film market has thinned out so
much.

> > I can forsee the day in the future when making a silver print will be
> considered an
> > 'alternative' process.
>
>I hate to say it, but it's already there.  I challenge you to
>find any commercial lab offering silver-gelatin prints.  I may
>be one of only a handful in the entire state and the only one
>offering fiber prints. One of those labs is planning to
>completely shutdown all B&W processing at the end of this year.
>
>AG

I can understand commercial labs getting out of the b&w business, it's been
heading that way for years now.  I was referring mainly to home darkrooms -
as a buddy said to me last week, in a few years we will be hand-coating our
paper like the guys of old coated their glass plates!  Mind you, my buddy
makes the occasional daguerreotype so he's already been down that track.

But then I suppose our 'art' will be enhanced by that. It's a bit like how
platinum prints are viewed right now. As a niche market that has a 'trendy'
old-world aspect to it (and I'm not meaning to be derogatory in any way).

Andrew McPhee