[OM] Re: Tamron 28-105/2.8 opinions?

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 28-105/2.8 opinions?
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 23:05:12 +0000
It's big; it's heavy, and it's a pretty good lens, all things considered.
Because of its bulk, I can't imagine using it on a bare OM, but with an MD2, it
makes a reasonably well balanced outfit.  The focusing takes a little getting
used to.  Since it is basically an auto-focus lens, the manual focus version
goes from closest focus of 2.6 ft. to infinity with only a 45 degree turn of
the very lightly dampened focus ring.  Once I put a few miles on it, I actually
found this sort of convenient, since it's possible to focus very quickly and
with only one finger.  Of course, it requires 82mm filters, which might be a
consideration if you don't already have lenses that take that size.  I did, so
it didn't make any difference.

As John Lind recently pointed out, the price new is probably too high, it
getting close to $1000 now.  I bought mine new from B&H about three years ago,
when the price was $685, with a $100 rebate from Tamron (which I was absolutely
astounded to have received in less than two weeks after mailing in the form).
If the lens you're considering is in good condition, I think $350 is a
reasonable price, especially if they can round up the hood.  A new one is
probably available from Tamron, but if my experience in buying a hood for my
17/3.5 is any indication ($65), it'll probably be pricey.

It's the lens in my one camera/one-lens outfit because of its speed and range.
I've got lots of other possible choices, but I'm sticking with the 28-105/2.8
until somebody comes up with something smaller, faster and with a wider range.
And cheaper, too.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from