[OM] Re: E-lemma

Subject: [OM] Re: E-lemma
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:00:34 -0700

On Oct 14, 2004, at 1:10 PM, iwert wrote:

> What I like about the Olympus is that is conceived from ground up,
> Canon and
> Nikon offer a more ambigeous feeling there.

Nah. Not throwing away the lens mount is not a bad thing. Many lenses
have been completely redesigned in both line ups. And in the time it
has taken for the E-1 to come out much of the lens lines have been
converted to internal focus motors and vibration reduction.

>>> Ah, there is my trusty OM. Wide view and nice glass, great choice.
>>
>> Yeah....   And will your OM cease to be trusty, with a wide view and
>> nice glass if you get an E-1?
>
> What is your experience?

Ah well. I do think I have improved my glass even with zooms, but the
whole electronic gizmo may not be as trusty, but so far so good. It is
certainly easier to take a good picture. Still have an OM1n backup. So
worthless, I might as well keep it for the sentimental value.

>> Wow. Small negatives. You can put a lot of high resolution images on a
>> CDRom for less than a buck and more on a DVD. And even more cheaply on
>> an external hard drive.
>>>
> So true, but CD's have a lifetime of about 10 years, DVD's a bit more,
> and
> hard drives are not to be trusted. I've learned this the hard way.
> Archiving
> for our office. Luckily these are images. Try to read an old cad file
> from
> 1993... bad luck.
> And Colour calibration, and, and,... Digital IS a lot more then the
> camera
> alone. Luckily my instinct for colour output isn't that bad!

True. Archiving is the most worrisome part of digital. But archiving
film is not so great either. I have my share of faded, fungus eaten
slides from thirty plus years ago. And archival, acid free boxes for
them cost a fortune.  I am unable to afford a cooled, humidity
controlled environment for them. Hard disks have become the cheapest
mode of storage I think. It is easy to double up so that if one fails
you can replace it and copy your duplicate disk to it. And the images
don't fade or get fungus damage at all. With the continuing advances in
post processing the images will only get better over time instead of
worse. Adobe has recently announced their own raw file standard which
will probably gradually be adopted by everyone lessening possibility of
having unreadable raw files in the future.

I would not have said a thing, Iwert, but you really sound like you
want to try digital. Just doing traditional list enabling. :-)

Winsor