[OM] Re: Rambling thoughts on digital, portfolios, OMs and the meaning

Subject: [OM] Re: Rambling thoughts on digital, portfolios, OMs and the meaning of life
From: Gordon Ross <gordross@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:48:51 -0600
Hi Bill:

My daily reminder came from the first time I ran into the Latin term.

It is engraved on the blade of the miniature sword that is my letter opener.
I see it every day.

It was further inspired by Robin William's masterful performance in "Dead
Poets Society". To break the silent unseen traditions at a private school
that stifled creativity, he has all the assembled boys in his class leave
the classroom and go to the school trophy cases. The camera pans the rows of
trophies and the pictures of teams and athletes and clubs and
classes------it becomes very evident that every one of these 'boys' are long
dead ---as Robin Williams comes up behind them and whispering says, "Carpe
Deim, boys, Carpe Deim, seize the day."

It IS your day, it is your energy to use freely- but it is borrowed and like
a battery it has an end. A life. May your energy illuminate the world,
however briefly, those moments most often found in adversity and struggle
are the highlights of our lives.

"It was the best of times it was the worst of times" a strange twist of fate
that we lust for the easy life but the reality is that only the trials -
the intensities of fear and love and anger and despair and joy and
compassion and passion bring out the memorable, the treasure of having
lived.

For Wayne seek someone else's challenge and you will be motivated every day.
I say this in the kindest of ways, even for an acerbic tongued Canadian
descendant of Scotland.  Make the world a better place, it is not all we can
do, it is the best we can do.

Gord