[OM] Re: E-lemma

Subject: [OM] Re: E-lemma
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:37:29 +0200
Hello Iwert,

I am just about in the same situation as you. After looking around for quite
some time now I have allmost decided I want the E-1. Why the E-1 in steds of
the Canon or Nikon stuff? Mainly because I am an sentimental OM user and
have been very satisfied with everything OM I have ever owned for the last
27 years. My most useds body (OM-2n, bought new in '79 from my first
earnings aoff a hollyday job when I was 15) has never left ma in the cold. I
have taken it everywhere I went from Netherlands through the middle east,
into engine rooms of ships and in boiler rooms of power plants, to The US
east coast, Western Canada, you name it. Everywhere I have been that camera
has been. I will never ever sell it, even if it will eventually fall apart.

Secondly I still want to continu using the OM-2n, together with teh 4-Ti I
bought on ebay in '98 and Zuiko glass, ranging from 21 to 300mm. I am just
not ready to part with all that. With the Om to E-systems adapter I can
continue to use this glass.

Furthermore I am also quite fond of the effort Olympus made by designing the
E-system from the ground up. Very much like they did when they launched the
OM-series. Now with the E-300 they even make me think of the Pen-FT times
(which I have never owned, nor seen in actual action since I was too young
then). I still think it is a pity the E-system (or the 4/3 system for that
matter) is not accepted wider than is has been up to now. I think if they
had brought out the E-1 with the CCD of the E-300 one year ago things might
have been quite different. There simply was no reason for anyone to change
from Canon/Nikon to Olympus.

There are also some CON's against the E-1, which probably will stop
everybody but the true Oly lover from buying themselves an E-1:
- Expensive glass (yes, the quelity will be very good and they have larger
f-stops than Canon and Nikon)
- Expensive flashes and other accesoires. For example the booster of the E-1
goes for about $ 500, while one for an EOS goes for less than 200.

I hope however more people will be attracted to the E-series and the 4/3
standard in a shor while (maybe with the introduction of the E-2 with the
8MB sensor. I expect that camera to hit the market before the summer of
2005).

As other list members have pointed out however, you will certainly be making
more pictures than you have been recently after you switch to digital or add
a digital body or camera to your existing system. We received a Olympus C150
2MP (no zoom) camera a little over a year ago when we switched power
companies and my Wife and children have never taken so many pictures before.
Every chance I get I take the E-10 from work to my home and play with it. I
think over the last year I have made as much digital photo's with the E-10
as I have using all of my OM's! There are some things about the E-10 that I
don't like however. Shutter delay being the worst problem. One other is the
lack of wide angle capability of the lens. I have not tried the 0.7x adapter
though.

The prices you mention for the E-1 however are not so bad. I have seen quite
some auctions allready including lens. One auction which included the FL50
flash ended last week at about $1300,- and one auction which included the
standard zoom lens and the 2.0 macro ended at $1192,- just two days ago. I
know, I was the 2nd highest bidder of both auctions!

As a last note I would like to share my thoughts and concerns about newer
types of camera's and especially gigital ones with you all. I am very
affraid there will never again be a camera that will keep on working without
any problems for 25 years and still be worth a good percentage of what it
has cost many years ago, regardless of brand. For that they have become just
to much of a commodity item.

Do I need a flame filter for saying negative things about the E-system too?
;-)

Just my  ? 0,02.

Wiliam Wagenaar