[OM] Re: When is enough enough? Zuiko resolution testing and comparision

Subject: [OM] Re: When is enough enough? Zuiko resolution testing and comparision to digital
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:14:35 -0400
on 2004/10/17 8:27 PM, AG Schnozz at agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've found
> that when comparing same-size images, the Zuikos outperform the
> digicam by over eight steps... However, when drilling down
> to pixel level, five of those steps are beyond the resolving
> capability of the sensor!  I ran out of pixels.

Now that's interesting.

> The biggest suprise was how well the A1 actually did. The trick,
> though, is to shoot RAW. I lost an entire step, and sometimes
> more, when shooting JPEG.

Interesting and useful.

> Oh, when scanned, most, if not all, of that resolution gain with
> the film is gone.  As long as I stay optical the increased
> resolution is gained. The moment I digitize, the playing field
> is leveled.  I wonder what a 5400dpi scanner must be like...

That's interesting too, but what's your scanner resolution?

> But, through it all, it also means that a quality 8MP sensor
> will equal the Zuikos maximum resolution.

Uh, say what? Given extract #1 above, that would mean the five steps
together change resolution by sqrt(5/8)... or about 0.8. Is that correct?

I think you may be in right ballpark though, at least for low-contrast
scenes (your test target is probably high-contrast, no?). Most films quote
around 50 lp/mm at low contrast, which works out to 8.6 MPx. So unless you
want high-contrast, graphic images with high resolution, 8 Mpx may be OK.
It's certainly where I start to get really interested (other issues aside,
like being mostly happy with what I've got and only very weakly motivated to
spend money).

Andrew