[OM] Re: 16mm Fish Eye lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: 16mm Fish Eye lens question
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:11:56 -0600
If you look at the e-sif diagram for the 16/3.5, you'll see that the
front element has a pretty large back surface that light doesn't pass
through.  This surface is painted black to reduce flare, and it looks
like the paint has a bubble from the picture.  On my 16/3.5, this is
also happening, though in lots of small bubbles rather than one big
one.  Also, on my lens there's a brass ring cemented to the back of the
element, presumably to help locate it in the lens.  This ring would
complicate repairing the element, since it'd have to be removed to get
the paint off.  It might get worse over time, but it's not a group so
you don't have to worry about element separation.  Since the defects
aren't in the light path they won't directly influence image quality,
however, they could possibly increase flare.  I've quit worrying about
them too much, and just use the lens :)

Mark