[OM] Re: DSLR decision, was Watercolor/fine art paper

Subject: [OM] Re: DSLR decision, was Watercolor/fine art paper
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:48:26 EDT
In a message dated 10/19/2004 12:14:56 AM Central Standard Time,
ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hmmm  Bill, you might use both arms!  It is great that you have found
this  direction for your photography.

I'm not sure if you are talking about the "artsy fartsy" direction or that
or digital, however at this juncture I see myself as a traditional photographer
 who has the ability to capture some images digitally. The stash closest
still  has 30+ OM Zuikos, 10 or 15 OM bodies and an assortment of other OM
gear.
There is also a 4X5 and medium format camera and lenses.

I  see what you write about the E-1, but I am vacillating between
waiting for  the E-300, the C*non 20D or the N*kon D70 ... or buying the
E-1 as it  comes down in price!

Whatever decision one makes, digital will change some things in your life
from the standpoint of your photography.  I just got the current issue  of
Popular Photography in the mail and the cover story is on the Olympus Evolt
(I'm
assuming the same as the E-300) and the writer was most enthusiastic about
what this camera was going to do to the entry level DSLR world.

Were I starting from scratch (which none on this list are doing), I would
look at the offerings on Nikon, Canon and probably Minolta in addition to the
emerging Olympus line up.  Given the "starting from scratch" scenario, I  don't
think one who learns there particular brand of tool will be  disappointed.

I will probably buy an Evolt when they are released as a back up  body
assuming there is much price differential between it and the  e-1.  For someone
who
has neither, I'd probably buy the Evolt over the e-1,  to get my feet wet and
then move to the e-whatever when it is released.   Don't take this as my
disappointment with the e-1.  I love it and this is  an evolving system (that
is
good) and there will be improvements along the  way.  The Evolt has some of
them, such as a pop up flash and a more  refined auto focus, to name two.

What most of us need to be looking at with our photography, is not whether
we made the right decision in the digital camera we bought, but whether we are
releasing the shutter enough on whatever camera it is we own, regardless of
the  means of capture.  My measure, for me, is am I growing and am I producing
images which please me. Am I producing the same image over and over or am I
expanding that which I am capable of producing with the tool?  The catalyst
for me is usually workshops, field trips, competitions, study, experimentation,
 photo dates with myself and other activities which keep the dust off my
camera and off my brain.  That activity can be done with a Brownie Sure  Shot
or
a zillion dollar camera or anywhere in between.

Chris, your reply on the art paper was the only one I received, so I'm
guessing not many are trying other stuff with their printers or are not
printing
their own images.  A website I found (actually have had it bookmarked for
awhile) that is a wealth of information and also sales a variety of sample
packages of paper is _www.inkjetart.com_ (http://www.inkjetart.com)   and
should be
useful for any who want to look outside the Epson or HP box.

However, I am still not convinced that I should get rid of my  C*ntax G2
kit to finance it.
Don't expect this old pack rat to help you with that decision.  What I  can
tell, from my experience, is that when you start using digital, you will  stop
using as much film.  If the attraction of the G2 is size, I think the  Evolt
will be smaller than the e-1 as it doesn't have the prism hump found on  most
SLR & DSLR cameras as it uses a system similar to the Olympus Pen  series (no
hump).

That's it for the morning, see you guys later.   Bill  Barber