[OM] Re: moonlighting

Subject: [OM] Re: moonlighting
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:29:18 -0700
Artfully and beautifully done photographs, but I have never really
understood the fascination with star trails or streams and seascapes
that look like flowing fog. They are just in your face artifacts of the
light gathering limitations of cameras. It is nice when the artifacts
are pleasingly arranged, but it might as well be plaid as far as I am
concerned. Is there something I am missing?

What I really don't understand is when the artifact is aped as when
35mm camera users take a nature photograph and deliberately choose a
slow shutter speed to imitate the defect of a large format camera with
a frequency that it has become such a universal cliche that I have seen
experienced photographers instruct newbies on this "proper" way to
photograph water. Which famous Spanish guitarist was it that published
his playing method with detailed fingerings  and he was imitated by
students for hundreds of years until it was pointed out that he was
missing fingers.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA