[OM] Re: moonlighting

Subject: [OM] Re: moonlighting
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:13:50 +0100
He he, well doing a PhD in astronomy was definitely a help in getting to
some great dark skies, if not in guaranteeing good photos once I was
there!  I have indeed defended and everything, been Dr Wesson for a good
few weeks now.  Not bored of using the title yet, in fact I'm still
using it at almost every available opportunity.  I may continue for some
time.

Interesting point of view on the trails.  I can see the attraction of
capturing the instant, but one of the things I like doing a lot in
photography is using longer exposures to capture scenes that you'd never
see in real life.  I like movement and blurry things, contrasting with
sharp things, so I really liked this photo with the lightning strike
contrasting with the trails.  Each to their own.  Would be a hell of a
job in photoshop to get rid of the trails though!

To cover what Winsor said as well, I don't see that the trails, or
moving water blurred out, could be an artefact.  The limitations as you
see it of the camera, I say are a feature, not a bug :)  If no-one ever
used longer shutter speeds creatively, wouldn't static seas, rivers and
stars be the cliche?

I'm about to start experimenting with very dense filters, aiming to take
photos of everyday scenes with exposures of hours or even days - push
the 'artefacts' to extremes!  We shall see how the early efforts turn out...

Dr Roger