[OM] Re: Is it a scam? Advice wanted.

Subject: [OM] Re: Is it a scam? Advice wanted.
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:38:58 -0700
on 10/20/04 1:07 PM, Wiliam Wagenaar at wiliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> - Can this be true or is it a scam after all?

I don't like it... it seems likely that if the seller were legitimate he
would contact the 2nd or 3rd highest bidders, but probably not go all the
way to #11. On the other hand, if he were trying to make a scam, the sell
would probably make the same scam offer to -every- bidder, all at the same
time, and hope to collect a bunch of money and disappear when everyone
realizes the scam.

I think I'd wait and keep trying. When an offer 'seems too good to be true'
it very often is, and most scam artists take advantage of the natural human
tendency to believe that they really can get something for nothing, or at
least very much less than the true value. As you point out, if the seller is
legitimate they logically would re-auction the camera, as the bids topped
950GBP, which seems to be a 'fair market value' and they would be losing a
bunch of money to accept 480GBP if they have any real intention of delivery.

Use caution here... you might ask the friendly lister near Leicestershire
(is that right down the road from Worcestershire...?) to go and give the
camera a 'look-over' before sending the money. If it suddenly becomes
apparent that there is no way for the seller to perform this, the reality of
the scam will be exposed.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...