[OM] Re: Soon-to-be E-1 user

Subject: [OM] Re: Soon-to-be E-1 user
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 19:43:23 -0400

----- Original Message ---------------

Subject: [OM] Soon-to-be E-1 user
   From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:00:57 -0700
     To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxx

>The *ist has the best compatibility with old glass.  But the fact is that I
>have old Zuiko glass, not Pentax.  I eventually went with the E-1 because
>of the build, the weatherproofing, the sensor dustbuster and the quality of
>E-1 work I've seen posted by a number of people, including C.H. and
>Skip.  Now I just hope there will be a fast normal or moderately wide prime
>in the next year or so, and please, let it be affordable!

2005 promises a fast wide angle, fast normal macro, fast tele-macro, and fast
medium tele

>1.  Can someone in the U.S. post the address or phone number I must contact
>to get the OM-to-E-1 adapter?  How long did it take to actually receive
>your adapter?

Call the Olympus E-System helpline when you get your camera.  You should first
register the camera online so that they have the body serial number.

>2.  Does anyone have suggestions as to which of the RAW converters I should
>use?  I use Picture Window Pro, not Photoshop, so Adobe Camera RAW is
>out.  I've heard that Studio's high-quality mode gives the best images, but
>it's slow and clunky.  And I've heard mixed things about Capture 1 and Bibble.

Olympus Viewer actually does pretty well, it's just slow, but no slower than
Studio.  C1 is very nice, with all it's doo-dads, but the initial RAW
conversion had some issues.  Look over on dpreview.com in the Olympus SLR forum
for the best news, IME.  I use Photoshop CS.

>3.  I've heard good things about the E-1's Jpegs.  Any tips on initial
>camera settings?  Do you find that Jpegs are good enough most of the time,
>or do you prefer RAW?

If your subject is lit normally, you don't need the wide 16-bit range of a
converted RAW image, or your white balance doesn't need tweaking, I don't see
any reason to shoot RAW.  RAW files take up about 10.5 Meg, so it takes 2-3x as
much space as an SHQ image.  When you're shooting 2-300 images per soccer game
like I am, and 2-3 games in an afternoon, that makes a big difference.  And
post-processing all those RAW images isn't my idea of fun.

So the SHQ JPGs are my standard, shot at +2 sharpness.  Post-process, I almost
never sharpen my images and rarely tweak them much.  When I'm shooting outside
in strong sunlight, I shoot contrast at -2 and exp-comp to +1/3, which seems to
help tame the shadows.  Even so, I often have to use PS's highlight/shadow tool
to bring up the shadows a bit.  I usually shoot saturation at normal.

>4.  Any sites or other lists I should peruse?  I'm already familiar with
>dpreview's Olympus DSLR forum, and MyFourThirds.com.

dpreview is my pick.  Lots of nice people there.