[OM] about leica voightlander

Subject: [OM] about leica voightlander
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:50:52 -0700
On 10/24/04 4:24 PM, "ClassicVW@xxxxxxx" <ClassicVW@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think if you ask, you'll find quite a few OM users here that are also Leica
> (or rangefinder) users too. Both systems are used by those who eschew the
> digital revolution, and want to keep photography to a simpler, more thought
> requiring practice.

I'm one of those Leica/OM people--longtime OM user, recent convert to
rangefinders. SLR for the shift lens, TTL and SuperFP flash, macro and tele
longer than 90mm, rangefinder for everything else. For a given situation in
the same focal lengths (within the capability of the M), as others have
noted, the rangefinder and either Leitz or Voigtlander glass do give me
better results. For me, easier low-light focusing is one of the main pluses.
I think the modern coatings of the couple newish lenses I have do a lot to
improve color rendition of the lenses vs the now 20+ year-old Zuikos. And,
like someone was saying over on the CosinaVoigtlander list, as an optical
engineer you can do a lot more when optimizing a lens that will list new for
$2400 vs one that will list for $500.

Rob in Seattle