[OM] US elections (OT and no pretence of anything else!)

Subject: [OM] US elections (OT and no pretence of anything else!)
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:47:21 +0100
Wayne Culberson wrote:

> <snip> The outcome of this election is likely to
> be of far greater importance to me than the recent one in my own country.

Canada, I presume (from your e-mail address)?

> How this one goes is important to the world. The greatest issue in the
> choice of any leader is always character. Shouldn't make it too hard for you
> guys to decide. No human is perfect, and most leaders make mistakes, but
> some just lack all integrity whatsoever.

Indeed.

This is my own (an outsider's perspective) in case any Yank is interested.

1. Bush has made many serious mistakes.
2. Bush has the courage of his convictions.
3. Bush passionately believes what he did was/is right.
4. Bush shows real and genuine leadership.
5. Bush is good for the UK generally. Unlike Clinton, Bush actually likes us.
6. Bush is not weak like our own Prime Minister.
7. Bush is nobody's fool.

So, apart from #1 (and to err is human) his attributes are generally positive.
Particularly from a UK perspective (though most Britons don't see it, of course
-- he's desperately unpopular here).

And what about Kerry? I know nothing of the man himself, but he has the
hardest, most unwelcoming look that I can ever imagine. To me, the look of a
nasty evil person. I can't even really explain why and I don't pretend for one
instant that it's rational. But that, combined with the policies he supports,
would mean I could never vote for him or his ilk.

Cheers everyone!

Simon