[OM] Re: US elections (OT and no pretence of anything else!)

Subject: [OM] Re: US elections (OT and no pretence of anything else!)
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:51:10 -0400
on 2004/10/26 5:47 PM, Simon Worby at simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The fact that we are poles apart is exactly what politics is all about.

Funny, I believe that politics is all about talking, expaining your position
and if possible trying to find a compromise, or at least a modus vivendi.

Sometimes of course people's opinions are so rigid and extreme, so full of
anger or hate that it's impossible - then you just have go forward somehow
while preserving the peace. Sometimes people are causing so much harm, and
are so intransigent that others get angry, and then it's doubly important to
keep the peace. The alternative is so much worse, and it seems the whole
world is drifting in that direction.

on 2004/10/26 8:19 PM, John Hudson at OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> And what about Kerry? I know nothing of the man himself, but he has the
> hardest, most unwelcoming look that I can ever imagine
>
> maybe full of gas after eating too many Heinz baked beans?
>
>> To me, the look of a nasty evil person. I can't even really explain why and
> I don't pretend for one instant that it's rational. But that, combined with
> the policies he >supports, would mean I could never vote for him or his ilk.

Yikes.

BTW, I agree that one needs to judge the person as well as the policies. But
beware, because many politicians (and salesman) are born actors and can seem
what they're not. And think about why you react to them as you do, whether
positively or negatively. And judge their record, including truthfulness.

Andrew