[OM] Re: Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Filters
From: Matt Boland <mattb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:49:37 +1000
Hoya have single coated, multi-coated (HMC), and super multi-coated
(S-HMC).

They also have Ultra, which is HMC coatings on the low profile filters.

The S-HMC transmits up to 99.7% of light.
HMC transmits 98-99% of the light.
Single coated transmits less.

I use HMC (UV0) and these seem very good compared to another brand that
I have (M*rumi - but to be fair I might have one of their cheapies). The
reflections of white light off the HMC are a dull green, a good
indication that most of the light is  getting through. You can hold them
at certain angles and the glass will disappear (not really, mind you,
just an illusion), a good indication that they are optically OK. That
other brand distorts light coming through it when compared with the
Hoya. Personally, I think the HMC are the best value.

To answer you questions:
 > Is there really a difference in filter quality and type?
Do this:
1/ look through a good quality filter (regardless of which geographic
location it was manufactured)
2/ Have a look through a chunk of quartz
3/ Note the difference
Some filters are good quality, some are like quartz.

 > What type of filter do you suggest for a wide angle lens/wide angle
 > zoom lens?
Get the best one you can afford.

 > What brand filter do you prefer. Typically I use Hoya...but I have
 > heard that Hoya (esp. Hoya made in the Phillipines) are junk.
I think Hoya are good. I have heard they also make the Lions share of
spectacle glass, how true this is, or in what geographic locations it's
true, I don't know.

 > Does filter coating affect picture quality?
Yes. Look at things like your budget, the lens you want to use it on,
lenses you want to use it on in the future, and find a point on the
price/performance curve that suits you. If you set up your camera on a
tripod and use MLU, etc. then it doesn't take long to unscrew any
filter, thereby giving an even better quality picture...

Check out http://www.thkphoto.com/

Ali Shah wrote:
> I had a quick question on "standard" filters vs these newer ULTRA THIN
> filters. Ultra thin filters decrease vignetting, which occur with wide angle
> lenses. Is there really a difference in filter quality and type? What type
> of filter do you suggest for a wide angle lens/wide angle zoom lens? what
> brand filter do you prefer. Typically I use Hoya...but I have heard that
> Hoya (esp. Hoya made in the Phillipines) are junk. Does filter coating
> affect picture quality?
>
> Reason I ask this question...is that I obtained a 19 - 35 Vivitar lens and
> ordered a 77mm HOYA HMC filter...which is "standard" thickness.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Ali

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

Matt Boland (BEng)                  Phone  : 61 7 5594 9824
R&D Engineer                        Mobile : 61 4 0835 1421
Odyx Corporation Pty Ltd            email  : mattb@xxxxxxxxxxx