[OM] Re: Hoya Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Hoya Filters
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:08:53 +0000
I too have a small cache of "effects" filters.  Most are useless, at least in
my opinion, but there is one that does sometimes, with the proper subject,
under suitable conditions, produce interesting results: a B+W Double-Sunny.  It
turns points of light into star patterns and is fun for shooting shiny cars,
water and night scenes.  But since it often is too much of a good thing, if the
shot is really worthwhile, I'll shoot it again sans filter.

As for the multi-coated Hoya filters, be very careful when cleaning them.  The
coating comes off if you just look at one cross-eyed.  That's why I stick
pretty much to B+W and Lee, although there are a few Tiffens and Hoyas in the
house.  As a practical matter, I doubt I use a filter on more than one or two
percent of my photos.  If I can't articulate a good reason for using one,
that's a good reason not to use one.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from