[OM] Re: 60mm Slide on hood - hard to find?

Subject: [OM] Re: 60mm Slide on hood - hard to find?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:26:13 -0800
on 10/31/04 7:46 PM, Curtis P. Hedman at Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> It would appear that I will shortly be in possession of a Zuiko 35~70 f/3.6
> lens, thanks to E*ay. Looking in the eSIF I see that this lens calls for a
> 60mm slide on lens hood... anyone have any idea how hard it will be to come
> up with one of these? What would be an acceptable alternative while I'm in
> the hunt? I think I got the lens at a great price, so I'm hoping that it
> turns out to be OK! I love my 35~70 f/3.5~4.5, but understand that the 3.6
> is even better...
>
> Any words of wisdom will certainly be appreciated....
>
> Curt

The 35-70/3.6 is a very good zoom lens, and you want to have the hood as the
design of this lens/hood package is nearly unique. As the lens is zoomed,
the front element moves forward at 35mm focal length and back toward the
camera body at 70mm focal length. The hood stays relatively fixed in
relation to the camera body, being on a part of the lens that doesn't move
when the zoom is done. The net effect is that the hood is highly functional
at both the long and short end of the focal length range... most zoom lenses
by necessity have a hood that won't vignette at the shortest focal length,
and therefore is less than effective at the longer focal lengths. The fact
that this Zuiko is one of the sharper Olympus zooms is just added to by this
neat hood design. Kind of makes you wonder why there aren't more lenses
designed like this one... even now, 20 years later, they are uncommon.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...