[OM] Studio portraits using T32

Subject: [OM] Studio portraits using T32
From: orava@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:50:24 +0200 (EET)

Hello dear Holics,

I have photographed for a long long time but I haven't taken any "serious"
studio portraits yet. Now I have began to study some studio techniques, but I
have a question for you.

I dont have an umbrella or a softbox yet. Actually I would even like to
buy/build a softbox, because they are so expensive. I am more into an umbrella
or into an even more cheap option: reflector. By using the word "reflector" I
mean reflectors such as these:
http://www.ephotozine.com/images/2105reflectors1.jpg

I am planning on using the reflector as the main light source. I mean that I
would fire the T32 into the reflector (held about 1,5 m away from the model)
and let the reflecting light fall on the model. Therefore I would use the
reflector just like I would use an umbrella. I would also have another
reflector reflecting some of the light for the shady side of the models face.

And now to my question:
How good a light source is an reflector in a set-up as described above compared
to an umbrella? Actually I would like to know, that does a two-dimensional
plane-reflector lose more light than a three-dimensional sphere-like umbrella?
Does an umbrella try to collect all the light into one focal point? Does my T32
have enough power or do I have to use 2 T32's?

I am going to build the reflectors at home (depending on what kind of light you
suggest me to use), so I would really like to hear some experiences before I
start to build them.

Thank You allready in advance!

Olli