[OM] Re: Studio portraits using T32

Subject: [OM] Re: Studio portraits using T32
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:31:15 +0100

orava@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have photographed for a long long time but I haven't
> taken any "serious" studio portraits yet. Now I have
> began to study some studio > techniques, but I
> have a question for you.
> --- snip ---
> I am planning on using the reflector as the main light
> source. I mean that I would fire the T32 into the
> reflector (held about 1,5 m away from > the model)
> and let the reflecting light fall on the model.
> Therefore I would use the > reflector just like I
> would use an umbrella. I would also have another
> reflector reflecting some of the light for the
> shady side of the models face.
>
> And now to my question:
> How good a light source is an reflector in a set-up as
> described above compared to an umbrella?

Nearly as good. Good umbrellas have special coatings
reflecting more than say styrofoam sheets. But even
these work fine.

> Actually I would like to know, that does a two-dimensional
> plane-reflector lose more light than a three-dimensional
> sphere-like umbrella?

Umbrellas are not meant to be focussing, just less
straying.

> Does my T32 have enough power or do I have to use 2 T32's?

Just test with film replacement card, or your
favorite test film, and watch for "sufficiant
light" signals. Usually portraits are made
with more open lenses, and less depth of field,
so one T32 may suffice. Else wire two and place
them near each other, giving you GN=45 instead
of GN=32.

> I am going to build the reflectors at home (depending on
> what kind of light you suggest me to use), so I would
> really like to hear some experiences before I
> start to build them.

Just experiment! The greatest problem you will
run into is, that you do not have any control how
light and shadow are placed exactly. And to know that
precisely is sorta crucial in portrait photography ...
that is why those studio lights with built-in
modelling lights are a must with most portraits
photographers, or they do available light (or
just some strange fill-in with a T8 as Helmut
Newton has done with his hotel portrait series).

Portrait photography and using artifical light
fills volumes of books!

Andreas