[OM] 4/3

Subject: [OM] 4/3
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:45:17 -0600
I have been looking for reasons not to move along with
Olympus to a digital SLR.  But I am weakening.

Like many others, I have longed for a digital body that
would allow me to get some use from my film lenses.  In
fact, it would have been the deciding factor a year or even
six months ago.  That thinking lead me somewhat reluctantly
to N*kon.  I have a more modest investment in N*kkor lenses
than Zuikos, but a couple are very good and with the 1.6x
factor, the 24mm and 55/2.8 micro would be quite usable.
The 2x factor that Olympus gives us, plus the need for an
adapter, where the N*kon can take the lens natively, seemed
to militate against Olympus.

But the more I have learned from the C-5060, and now the
C-8080, the less I feel like a digital afterlife for my film
lenses is really a major factor.  I think it's a bit of a
mirage.  As a special case, you might get some images with
the 50/2 (wish I had one) or the 90/2, but I don't think one
is going to do the lion's share of his work with the old
lenses.  It's the new ones that will really count.

I also didn't think much of the 4/3 standard.  3/2 is the
golden ratio, right?

But I find I like 4/3.  I don't know what it is, but I feel
comfortable composing with it.  It is actually one factor
putting Olympus over the top for me.  I don't think I'd
enjoy a DSLR now that doesn't use the 4/3 standard.  I'd
have sworn a blue streak of denials if anyone had predicted
that even three months ago.

If 4/3 is a cul-de-sac, so is Nirvana. That's not a very
telling argument.

And if the E-300 is built comparably to the C-8080, I'm
probably a goner.

Joel W.