[OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 18:47:37 -0500
Like Skip, I have also used from 2 to 4 T-32's as a studio flash setup.
  I don't use them indoors that way anymore as I have since purchased 4
Alien Bees B800's (360 watt seconds) for studio use.  I do sometimes use
the T-32 studio setup outdoors with a light stand and small umbrella as
they're more portable than the Bees and don't need AC power.  However,
I've recently put together an inverter and battery power pack that runs
the Bee's quite nicely so I only use the T-32's now if I have to hike a
ways from the car.

Skip says that the T-32's are not very flexible as far as varying the
power.  That's certainly true compared to the Bees which are infinitely
variable over a 5 stop range.  However, a two flash head T-32 setup is
actually more flexible than many studio and portable flash units which
give a 3 stop range in three steps.  Since the T-32 offers full and 1/4
power the combination of two units gives 2X, 1-1/4X, 1X, 1/2X, and 1/4X
power outputs.  This is a 4 stop range in 5 steps.

And the T-32 is a powerful flash.  Others have recommended either the
Vivitar 285 or various Sunpak units becasue of their flexible power
controls.  I can't disagree with that as I also own some Sunpak and
Vivitar units.  However, the T-32 is a much more powerful flash than a
Vivitar 285 or Sunpak 383.  These flash units have similar guide numbers
to the T-32 but their guide numbers are often quoted assuming an angle
of coverage equal to either a 50mm lens or, at best, a 35mm lens.  The
T-32's guide number is for 24mm coverage.

I have compared the twin T-32 heads to a Lumedyne flash head driven by a
Lumedyne 200 watt second power pack which has settings of 50, 100 and
200 watt seconds.  A single T-32 matches the Lumedyne for light output
and angle of coverage when the Lumedyne's power output is set at 100
watt seconds.  Two T-32's set at 1/4 power match it at 50 watt seconds
and two T-32's match it at 200 watt seconds.  With no diffuser
(umbrella, etc) both the Lumedyne and T-32 fall of 1/2 stop at the edge
of a 28mm field of view at 10 feet from the flash.

The big problem with the T-32's, of course, or any small battery powered
flash is recycle time.  Skip resolves that by feeding them with a
Quantum battery pack.  I intend to try a similar solution soon by
purchasing an SP-Systems power pack.  See:
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=294330&is=REG>
These are only about 1/3 the cost of a Quantum Turbo Battery but, if you
read the fine print, you will see that they are compatible with Turbo
cables.

Mounting two T-32's on a light stand is not difficult.  I purchased a
piece of 1" x 1/8" thick aluminum bar stock at Lowes and cut a piece
about 10" long (it could be shorter but mine will actually accommodate 4
T-32's with flash heads above and below the bar).  I drilled three 1/4"
mounting holes.  One in the center accepts the 1/4-20 stud from a
Bogen/Manfrotto swivel umbrella bracket (about $28 at B&H).  The two
holes on the end are for a PC to hotshoe adapter and a flash slave
hotshoe adapter.  Both are held in place with 1/4-20 brass screws.

The umbrella bracket provides the attachment to the light stand and also
  holds the umbrella.  The PC connection is used to fire a single flash
and the second flash will be triggered by the slave hotshoe.
Alternatively, the second flash can also be triggered by a short TTL
cable between the two T-32's but you may as well use the slave shoe
since you need something to mount the T-32 on anyhow.  Testing light
output with my meter is accomplished by triggering the flash with a PC
cord from meter to flash or by radio signal using a cheap ($80)
transmitter/receiver found on the bay.

This photo:
<http://home.comcast.net/~chucknorcutt/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1889104.html>
was definitely taken with the T-32 setup described above.  There is only
on catchlight showing in the eyes but I'm pretty sure I was using both a
main and a fill light with two T-32's in each with the second one
probably dialed down.

This one:
<http://home.comcast.net/~chucknorcutt/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1889100.html>
was done with one of the B800's serving as a fill light firing through
an umbrella and powered by my self-assembled inverter and battery pack.
<http://home.comcast.net/~chucknorcutt/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1889159.html>

As Skip says, you can do this stuff without a flash meter, especially if
you're using digital or at least have a small digital to serve as your
"Polaroid".  However, adding umbrellas & reflectors can start to
complicate things very quickly and I consider my flash meter one of my
most valuable assets and wouldn't be without one anymore.

ps:  I may have a T-32 for sale soon if my recent "fang" ever arrives.

Chuck Norcutt