[OM] ( OM) Cleaning filters

Subject: [OM] ( OM) Cleaning filters
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:34:38 +1300
Hi all,

The last Digest finished with a couple of notes about how to clean lens filters.

For What It's Worth, I routinely put UV filters on all my lenses.  I used to
buy
Olympus filters new (pricey), but lately I have been going to my favourite
camera store. They always remove filters from lenses they buy for resale,
and they have several piles (up to 12 inches high and more) of such filters all
screwed into one another (by size of course), and if you are in the know
and/or a good customer you can have these filters free or for a song. I just
got 3 for $US1 each, and before that 2 for free. I have even seen Heliopan
filters there but the going rate was $12 US..

These filters are usually very dirty/grimy.  What I have been doing is to dunk
them in warm water with a dishwashing detergent (one that doesn't have a lot
of additives), and scrub them with a clean soft plastic/nylon? dishes brush,
under "water". Then rinse quite a while under several changes of fresh water
to get the detergent out of all crevices, drain, and dry off in the sun for 4
hours or more.  Maybe I have to use a microfibre cloth a little after that to
finish off, breathing heavily on the glass to lubricate it..

I haven't seen any damage to the surfaces from this, and they certainly come
out cleaner.

To answer the inevitable question ... ... ...

The reason I put filters like this on my lenses is that Olympus caps
sometimes flick off too easily, and there's the chance for damage to the front
lens element.  But not with a filter in place.

When I want to take a picture, if I have the local environment under control,
the filter and cap are screwed off for the shot; otherwise the filter probably
stays on.

Brian