[OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 19:15:52 -0800 (PST)
If you look in the archives from some years back, I posted a lot of information
comparing the T32 GN and stored energy to a number of other flashes
(metz,sunpak,nissin). I corrected for areal coverage so the playing field is
flat. I even posted a few sanity check measurements using flashmeter.  As
pointed out the Oly zoom adapter is inefficient (loses light in focusing)
compared with published specs for other zoomheads.  Beware the T20 is not a
very conversion efficient flash since the angle of coverage is not for 24mm
lens like T32. (I was caught once, I think it is only 35mm coverage?,check
esif) A number of companies have base level 28mm coverage (metz) while some use
35mm to boost comparitive GN's. Few use 24mm like Oly on T32 and T45.  Since I
use 24mm a lot I like the T32, although I often add a  diffuser which makes the
AOC less critical. If you want the ultimate fresnel lens addon, the Metz one
for the CT60 increase the GN to ~400ft !  The T45 is actually one of the m
 ost
 powerful on camera flashes when compared on equal area bassis. (Metz CT60 is
not "on camera" as battery pack/invertor is seperate.)

Tim Hughes