[OM] Re: Stolen gear...

Subject: [OM] Re: Stolen gear...
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:19:51 +1100
You will be required to prove ownership. Here, if you see your kit in a
pawn shop, you may have to get a court order to effect its return. They
ain't just going to take your word for it and a police report may not
be enough. some second-hand dealers post the procedure in their window
but they prefer not to and they are well used to dealing with the irate
and deranged (look at who they buy from - the people who come into a
pawn shop to sell!). I had to return a lens I'd bought from a store
because the real owner showed up - they know where I live! But the
store had dealt fairly with the victim and took the hit for a couple of
pieces that they couldn't recover. They would probably have been able
to deny compensation to the victim of the grounds that they bought in
'good faith' - if they had followed the rules which include a cooling
off' period of ten days and a proper second hand/trade in register with
identification of the seller. That's why ID documents are much prized
in burglaries - they have use.
An unscrupulous dealer could deny that they had something in the recent
purchases locker and then dispose of them elsewhere once you had left
in order to protect their outlay so it is best to wait for about two
weeks before you go looking. Also, the police do checks on pawnbrokers
and second-hand dealers regularly so it is a good idea to point out the
value of the items and the very limited market for them.
Wayne H spotted some of his stolen gear on ebay and it took some time
to recover. Then the advertiser was someone who'd bought from the thief
and, given that there was no way that the value was recoverable from
the thief, that person ended up out of pocket, Next time a dealer
offers you half of what you think an item is worth, remember that this
risk has to be factored in.
And then, of course, the insurance company may end up owning them and
simply refuse to sell them back to you when and if they finally show
up.
AndrewF