[OM] Re: Stolen gear...

Subject: [OM] Re: Stolen gear...
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:33:48 +0000
Definitely report stolen equipment, particularly if it has a serial number, and
get a copy of the police report.  I had a pistol stolen from my car several
years ago.  I duly reported it, along with the serial number, and just over two
years later, I got a call from the local PD that they had it and I could come
get it at my convenience.  No telling how many hands it had passed through, but
it was found through a computer check of recently pawned firearms.  Both the
pawner and the pawnee lost on this one, with the former being arrested for
receiving stolen property and the latter being out $220.  :-)

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

-------------- Original message from "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> If it gets sold and purchased 20 times since it was stolen, it's probabably
> still yours. Suppose the last guy bought it from KEH. He still looses it.
> You can bet he's going to complain loudly since he bought it from a
> reputable company. So normally you'll need a police report. If it passes
> through a police department as lost property, you might not be able to get
> it back.
[snip]