[OM] Re: Trip to the big city - looking at cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Trip to the big city - looking at cameras
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:02:31 -0800 (PST)
> Yes, but AG was writing about DSLRs having an EVF.  But more
> to the
> point: if a camera has to have an EVF I won't buy or use that
> sort of
> camera.  It removes me from the photographing process by too
> much.

I made the mistake of looking at the viewfinder of an A2. (wow!)
The resolution is there, but the bit-depth (real or viewed)
isn't. In bright sunlight, the display is too dim, but in dim
light the display is blinding. However, you can select between
two modes which shows you the "as will be captured) exposure or
the "bright as possible for focusing" mode.

Olympus has done an excellent job with "frame rates" with their
EVF/Monitor and also has displays without the harsh pixels that
are common on most digicams.

Individually, most of the pieces for an excellent EVF are in
place, but nobody has put them altogether yet in a top-notch
body.  It's coming, though.  I like optical viewfinders, but I
also recognize that I've had to upgrade my cameras with 2-x
series screens too.

I think we might be seeing a conspiricy by the major
manufacturers.  Put lousy optical viewfinders in the DSLRs to
prepare the customers for EVFs.  There is no way an EVF can
compete with an excellent optical viewfinder, so they have to
dumbdown the optical viewfinders ahead of time to give the EVF a
level playing field.

AG

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com