[OM] Re: Trip to the big city - looking at cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: Trip to the big city - looking at cameras
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 08:04:00 -0600
There are a couple features I like on the C-8080, but I don't know if they
are universal:

1) Continuous focus -- the camera is always trying to focus on something no
matter which way it's pointing:  this makes sequence shooting a little
quicker at the outset;  better turned off for more contemplative shooting

2) Spot or iESP -- I think both of these work pretty well, though iESP is
better if one is utilizing #1 above;  the center point/spot also may not
cover the exact item one wants in focus, and iESP seems to catch this fact
and actually is superior in close ups in some cases;  iESP is some sort of
multi-point focusing mechanism (that's smarter than you are -- you know
what I mean)

Someone remarked of the photo of the deer in the woods that was recently
posted that autofocus would have focused on the tree branches rather than
the deer.  I can't prove it otherwise, but I think iESP would have been
successful.  This is an early instance in which I think iESP got me locked
on to the focus point that I wanted pretty easily:

http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/day/day22.html

I believe I hovered over the grass head that is in sharpest focus and
locked on;  in fact, I thought I was using spot mode at the time and
discovered later it was iESP.  When I switched to spot mode thereafter, I
could not get a good lock on fronds of grass and that sort of thing.  The
secret seems to be to use iESP in such situations but operate the camera as
though using center point/spot and locking on.

Like you, I am very fond of AE lock.  Combined with histogram, it's like an
OM-2S on steroids.

Joel W.