[OM] Re: [OT] Paypal charges, was interesting items still get good price

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Paypal charges, was interesting items still get good prices
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 08:27:31 -0500
> on 2004/11/07 4:38 AM, Simon Worby at simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> And likewise, nobody *has* to have a credit card, nor does anyone *have* to
> accept them.

Arguable for consumers, though there are now various things which are
difficult or impossible without a credit card - car rentals and hotel
reservations are an example. That's clearly not true for merchants, who
would go out of business. Yes, many customers demand to use credit cards,
but partly because there is no cost penalty - the cost is spread over
everyone.

BTW, I use credit cards and would still sometimes do so with a price
premium. What I want is the choice and to get the benefit of my choices.

on 2004/11/07 4:51 AM, Simon Worby at simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I find my best buys on eBay were where the vendor wanted a cheque. Not being
> able to pay with PayPal certainly seems to put buyers off.

See above.

> on 2004/11/07 2:21 AM, Andrew Fildes at afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The justification by
> eb*y is that associating any charges with a credit card transaction is
> illegal in California, where they are incorporated.

I'd love to know who lobbied for that law.

For a while here we (Ontario) seem to have had a law that credit cards
couldn't be used for groceries - perhaps on the grounds that it was unfair
to add these charges to necessities such as food. That seems to have quietly
disappeared. The stores probably aren't eating the CC charges, so now I'm
paying extra for my food. Not a lot, and I can certainly afford it, but it
sticks in my craw.

For a marketplace to operate properly consumers need to be able to make
choices, have adequate information and and receive the benefits or
consequences of their choices.

Same thing goes for GMOs - industry has been lobbying against labelling,
even against GMO-free foods being labelled as such by their makers. No
matter what you believe on this issue, you have to admit free consumer
choice is both a right and a necessity if the market is going to decide the
issue.

Andrew