[OM] Re: [OT] Paypal charges, was interesting items still getgood prices

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Paypal charges, was interesting items still getgood prices
From: "Alan Barrow" <pinzgauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 21:08:06 -0500
Bill writes:

> We all get to pay for the "shrinkage/theft" through higher prices at stores
> and higher charge card fees.  It is a little like the military, sh#$ flows
> downhill and in the end the consumer pays.

Agreed. But I also see where if the anti-theft aspects start significantly
interfering with the selling of product it becomes counter productive. And I
for one am starting to vote with my feet. If the store starts treating all
shoppers like suspects, then it's not for me. I'm not talking about reasonable
measures, I'm talking about  extremes. The most recent push has been concern
over becoming a "return center" (new buzzword) and thus the increasingly
hostile return policies. It's shifted me toward places like circuit city where
they keep your transaction/receipt on file, so you don't have to. Very
refreshing compared to other places.

>  I appreciate it when a retail  store
> asks me for picture ID.  It lets me know the employee is looking out  for
his
> employer, his job and my credit card.  Each of these is  appreciated.

If you have been through a stolen purse/wallet recently you will understand
exactly how ineffective this is. That's what started my learnings on this
subject..... wife's purse was stolen. Bestbuy, which requires photo ID was the
first place the thieves visited, to the tune of several hundred dollars.
Rich's and Macy's was next, for far more in gift certificates.

I asked both bankcard security and the MC VP about the ID required policy, and
both chuckled at how it does not work. And MC's policy about "Honor all
cards". More below.

> On the
> back of my credit cards, along with my signature, I've  written, "Please ask
> for photo ID"

Which is what started my crusade which led to the MC VP. Following the
bankcard security's advice, I printed "show photo ID" on our new cards. And
ran into the brick wall at the Post Office. They said the card was not valid
unless signed, and would not accept "show ID" cards. Implied it was a Visa &
MC policy.

Long story, made not very short, I decided to see what the real deal was, as
it was Visa who told me to do it. It's not a Visa / MC policy, though they do
direct you to sign the card in the instructions. But it's more an assumption
of personal liability than a security device. As the VP indicated, you can't
really expect sales clerks to be handwriting analysts or to match ID's. On the
ID front, criminals forge Driver's licenses or other forms to match the Credit
card name. They "wash" the signature off with solvent, and sign it in their
own hand, etc. Your "Show ID" is removed in seconds with solvent unless you
engraved it in. (Good idea, thinking about it)

To wrap it up, the VP indicated asked if I was out any funds from the Credit
Card theft. I indicated no, and he chuckled and stated that's their policy. I
should not worry, sign the card, and let their security teams track the theft
rings, etc. He also indicated that most sucessful theft occured with insider
help. That was his guess on the BestBuy charge which should have required
Photo ID per policy, and why they insist on "Honor all cards" if the
authorization suceeds. He also indicated that the crooks often have blank card
stock (stolen or provided from insiders) which they reprint your number on but
with a name to match the ID, etc.

For the record, I'm not anti-Bestbuy. The manager I chatted with did respond
favorably to my concern, and indicated they drill the anti-shrinkage stuff so
much that sometimes they lose sight of the real intent, to sell product. It's
also one of the base metrics for each location, so it's pushed hard, perhaps
more than it should be. I told him I'd shop with them again, just not for that
particular item. The only influence I have with the big chains is my dollar,
and as they displace the mom & pops it's harder to influence them unless you
get the manager's attention and let them know there's a problem.

Obligatory OM content: Used the 4ti, 85mm and the Sunpak 422 for my daughter's
cheerleading competition today, the flash ready blinking in the finder and the
LED on the sunpak sure came in handy! The Sunpak "Flash OK" led glows for a
few seconds if it was quenched (per the recent thread on "flash ready").

Have fun!

Alan