[OM] Re: OT Canon 9950F

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Canon 9950F
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:42:32 -0700
I haven't really done any timing measurements, but the speed is reasonable.
It's not blazingly fast, but neither is it excessively slow.  Yes, I've done a
batch scan of 30 frames, and it took about 30 minutes or so at 1200 dpi, which
I didn't think was terrible.  It takes 15-20 minutes for a 48-bit 4800 dpi scan
of an Xpan frame (resulting in a file that's over 300 MB).  Turning on the dust
and scratch removal causes the scan to take longer since it does a separate
infrared pass.  I think that it does a better job with color negatives than the
Minolta SDII.  Slide film is also good, but I haven't compared it with the SDII
in detail yet.  As mentioned in the photo-i review, the image comes out of the
scanner soft, so you can't be squeamish about applying lots of USM.

Mark