[OM] Northern Lights - Illinois

Subject: [OM] Northern Lights - Illinois
From: "Orin Keplinger" <orink@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:58:57 -0600
Ok, you Guys:

    I am near Chicago and off tonight. Using my favorite weather map site:
http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconusir.html

In its infared version, tonight, it looks like a stream of clouds in a
narrow band is coming from the northwest and slowly moving east as well. The
western border seems to be somewhere between Galena, IL and Rockford, IL.

Its 10 PM, I am going to take IL 88 and head toward Dixon, IL, and see what
happens. I have a couple of favorite observing sites between Rockford and
the Mississippi. I did see the Aurora last night as I drove into Chicago to
work about 10 PM, so if I can get out from under these clouds I may be able
to get some pics.

AG, I would be interested to hear whether your look out the door allowed you
to see stars as well as a glow in the sky.

As Ever,

Orin Keplinger
near Chicago