[OM] Re: Tamron 400mm f4 - grey?

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 400mm f4 - grey?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:14:24 -0800
I was curious, wanted the polarizer and the bag but I guess I didn't want it
enough.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3850377782

I've seen yabe auctions for all three versions of the 300/2.8 but I've only
seen the green 400/4. It was my impression that production of the 400/4 was
stopped in the early 90's possibly as early as 91. The grey 300/2.8 appears
to have started in 1993. Both Skip and the seller have apparently had grey
versions of the 400/4 in their hands. My guess is that they changed the
paint scheme of the 400/4 but didn't change the mechanics/optics.

The grey 300/2.8 is definitely different from the green 300/2.8 . The baffle
at the end of the grey lens is slightly too small for the 1.4X Olympus TC to
fit in. The rear most lens element also looks like it is slightly smaller
diameter than the green 300/2.8. The position of the rear lens elements
looks the same. The wide front part of the grey 300/2.8 is about 1/8" longer
than the green lens. I suspect the optics are nearly identical though. The
hood on the grey 300/2.8 uses a small thumbscrew that locks into a channel
going around the front The green 300/2.8 uses a bayonet mount hood. The grey
hood won't mount on the green 300/2.8.  The grey 300/2.8 does look slightly
nicer than the green one but the difference is small.

So for an Olympus user as Walt put it green is gooder. The grey 400/4 still
has caught my curiosity.

-jeff