[OM] Re: Olympus Trouble

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Trouble
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:24:46 -0400
> Well, I remember having to fiddle with carburetor-breathing cars,
> tires that lasted only about 20,000 miles (not "performance" tires,
> either; not many of those existed), solid-rear-axle tramp on quick
> stops, and hoping the car you bought came with disc brakes up front
> (nevermind four-way discs with ABS). Granted, I missed the heyday of
> the original Mustang, but I'll take a current car over most any old
> one any day.
>
> Steve

I just took off the original tires, Uniroyal Tiger Paws, that came with my
Tracker, 133,000 kms, and if it wasn't coming into the snow season here, I
could easily have run then another 10,000 kms. I remember the days when I
thought I was doing really well to get 20,000 miles from a tire.
Ah, yes, many has been the time of sticking the snow scraper into the
carburetor on those old V8's and slant 6's on cold morning starts...
flooding, spraying ether, etc. No, I sure don't miss those cars from a
repair and maintance point of view. The new ones are so much better.
However, I wouldn't mind having back the '69 Dodge Dart Swinger 340
w/4-speed manual transmission. I've never really had anything quite as nice
for sound or snap since. But it was rusted through quite bad by 1973.

Wayne