[OM] OT--new GTO?

Subject: [OM] OT--new GTO?
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:13:03 EST
Since I know there are plenty of car aficionados on the list, I thought I'd
air out a decision process I'm working through. Any comments (other than flames
about making an OT post ;-) ) are welcome.

It's about time for me to consider a new car, and I'm intrigued by the new
GTO. I know all the comments about it not being a "real" musclecar in the old
vein, but I think it's got some things going for it. Pontiac dealers are coming
off their high price demands for the 2004s since sales have been soft. But
there are some good things about the 2005 over the 2004: 400 hp LS-2 vs. 350 hp
LS-1; different (and to me better) exterior styling: hood scoops, rear fascia
with the exhaust outlets on the corners instead of both together on the side
like the 2004.

My biggest question for list members is for comments about living with a
stick versus an automatics trans. I've never owned a manual, but there's a big
difference in highway mileage on the GTO and I've got this little voice in the
back of my head that says "Go hard core." I live on the MS Gulf Coast, so I
won't have to deal with snow/ice or really hilly/mountainous terrain.
Additional
info: the car I'd be replacing is a '99 Grand Prix GTP (supercharged) and I'm
also considering another one of those. It offers a head-up display and some
other options not available on the GTO. I'll be going with a Pontiac because 1)
have a great dealer near my home and office for service; 2) I like the
overall Pontiac theme; 3) I want to buy an "American" car. I know the basic car
is
built in Australia, but it's still a GM.

I'd also be interested in hearing from list members from the southern
hemisphere who have experience with the Holden that forms the basis for the GTO.

TIA,
Greg