[OM] Re: OT--new GTO?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT--new GTO?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:48:11 -0800
Automatics have improved dramatically but also still vary dramatically
between cars. In 99 when I bought a Mustang, the automatic felt like garbage
which was a little surprising. Even the 5 speed manual I bought had it's
shifter (not the whole transmission) replaced within 60 days to give it a
better feel ... a cheap thrill. (which my son now loves)

The automatics that Honda uses are pretty nice. The two wheel drive version
of the Honda box I now drive actually has higher EPA ratings for the auto
than the stick, but the 4 wheel drive versions have identical ratings. With
the stop and go of California commute traffic I briefly considered an
automatic. The Honda stick is nicer than the stock Mustang stick. I would
agree with Walt that a very good automatic can be faster than a stick under
racing conditions BUT in everyday driving a stick responds quicker than most
automatics, making the car respond quicker to changing traffic, and FEELS
better ... IMHO. You need to drive both versions of whatever car you look
at.

Another thing to consider is that a lot of my son's friends' parents
received some very expensive auto transmission repair bills. Even a few kids
that put their feet on the brake and accelerator at the same time rather
than shifting from neutral to drive at high rpm managed to toast the
innards.

-jeff