[OM] Re: Olympus Trouble

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Trouble
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:49:31 -0500
The original Chrysler Hemi or "hemishpherical" head motor was something good &
special in generally lower quality cars. The plugs & wires came out the tops of
the valve covers. Very unusual & well designed.

I believe the current "Hemi" motor is just a marketing phrase. Its just a
typical regular motor design. Hopefully, after being taken over by Mercedes, the
quality of the cars themselves has improved.

My first car in '78 was a '67 Firebird convertible when the US wasn't making any
convertibles at all, and all the kids in high school wanted those mid-70's Trans
Ams with the big bird on the hood. My '67 was stock, and definitely stood out.
The Pontiac 326 V-8 was a real sucky motor, though. Due to typical GM
design-by-committee, it had oil drain holes that were far too small, so they
just stuck on a 7 quart oil pan to compensate. Had it for 7 years, and the block
went porous. Had 60's Fords ever since (except for my Rolls). Never a build
quality problem.

Larry

Larry