[OM] Re: Northern Lights

Subject: [OM] Re: Northern Lights
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:30:33 -0800 (PST)
I learned a valuable lesson this week about the auroras. They
look better in pictures than in person.  Over the past year or
so we've gotten several really nice blasts of activity.  I go
out and watch them, but then I see pictures that others have
taken and I wondered "did I miss it?"

Well, for the first time in my life, I've actually successfully
captured the auroras with my camera.  Where did THOSE colors
come from?  And then, a little tweeking of the curves in my
handy dandy image editor and I end up with world class aurora
activity.  But what did I see in person?  A white hazy sky.

Only a couple of times have I ever really seen beautiful colors
in person.  One time, it was a full-blown rainbow of colors, but
that's quite rare.

Anyway, now that I understand HOW to photograph auroras and have
successfully done so, I'm eagerly awaiting every possibility
from now on.

I've got a small bag packed with the M*nolta A1, OM-2S (loaded
with Velvia 100F), 24/2.8, cable release, and tripod plates
already mounted on cameras and red flashlight. Both big tripods
are in the jeep--one of which is partially extended.  I can be
setup and taking pictures in seconds.

I'm still trying to edit down a relatively noise-free picture
for the website.  Spent an hour last night trying to work one
without success.

AG

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com