[OM] Re: ( OM ) Canada day - "Angel of the North"

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) Canada day - "Angel of the North"
From: Chris Savage <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:57:11 +0000
Hello, list.

I only just discovered you all a month or so ago. Where have you been
all my life, especially that difficult period in 2001 when all my OM
gear was stolen? If I'd had a good support group back then I might have
avoided buying all that Nikon gear....

Anyway, as a native and resident of Gateshead I couldn't help belatedly
following up on this:

Brian Swale wrote:

>*[John Hudson:]B*rian ... alas, this is not the John Hudson to whom credit is
>given for
>those Gateshead statue photos. I am off to visit my mother in two weeks for
>her 90th birthday and am sorely tempted to take a day trip to see the statue
>truly amazing. The web site mentions that it is the largest statue in
>the UK having a wingspan bigger than that of a Boeing 757 or 767. Must be a
>photographer's delight.

I've always avoided shooting it. Not that I don't think it's fantastic
but everywhere you turn you see photos of the Angel or the Millenium
Bridge. If I can think of an original treatment I'll add it to my list
of targets, suggestions anyone. I don't make any claims to being Ansel
Adams, but I try to avoid a cliche.

>For those interested, check out
>
>http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/angel/index.html
>
>The statue "Angel of the North" is truly remarkable as far as I can tell from
>the websites that a google search turns up.
>
>Remarkable, in my opinion for its immense size, and - I think its non-artistic
>nature. For my 2 cents worth it isn't pretty at all,

I can't let that pass. Beauty and beholder's eyes notwithstanding, it
may look awkward and unsightly in still pictures but like everything
else I've seen by Gormley it's a dynamic sculpture that can really only
be appreciated in its setting and getting a good sense of the way it
changes shape as you move around it.

> and where it has been
>placed on a hill-top to catch all passing and incautious aircraft, it would be
>very difficult to take a photograph that had much artistic merit - as the web-
>shots show.

OK, the skies miraculously cleared this afternoon so I nipped out to
take a few snapshots which I think demonstrate that it's not really on a
hill-top and is very unlikely to be any more danger to air traffic than
the other tall buildings dotted around the Team & Tyne valleys.

http://www.pbase.com/savvo/angel

> I think.  It must catch a huge amount of wind in a storm.

It was blowing a very stiff norwester this afternoon: I was almost blown
over a couple of times when it caught up in my fleece. Wopsy seemed
unaffected by it, nary a creak.

--
Chris Savage, Crawcrook, UK