[OM] Re: OT Flat Bed Scanners DRAFT

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Flat Bed Scanners DRAFT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:36:31 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>The following thread may interest you.
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=11037535

Yes, I'm familiar with the Photo-i 9950F review issues.

On the other hand, I have purchased over the last few years an ELPH
490z, Canoscan FS2710, S110, 5000F and 300D and a used lens for the
300D. All have worked perfectly out of the box. The one problem I've had
was a break in a focus-zoom part in the S110. I wasn't absolutely sure
it wasn't my fault, considering how/when it happened, but Can*n repaired
it promptly for free under the warranty.

There were some complaints about quality control when the FS4000 was
new. Norman Koren believes many of them were simply a misunderstanding
of what happens with film grain with a sharp 4000dpi scanner. Whatever
the case, it seems that most FS4000s are ok and certainly unrelated in
technology to the 9950F. I'm getting mine from a guy with almost
uncannily good feedback who says it operates perfectly, so I believe I
have bypassed the out of the box trouble issue. He hasn't even sent it
yet, but has emailed me his home, work and cell phone numbers in case I
have any trouble with install and operation.

So I feel I've done all I can do to get the scanner I wish for. I have
great faith in the Universe, however defined.

Moose.