[OM] Re: If you were only allowed three (3) types of OM body.....

Subject: [OM] Re: If you were only allowed three (3) types of OM body.....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:41:21 -0800
Dave B wrote:

>If you were only allowed three (3) types of OM body which would you choose
>and why? I have 1,1n,2n,10,40(PC). Have never held a 4 / 4ti or a 3/3ti or a
>2SP for that matter. Should I ditch the current gear and go for the 4ti?

Nothing to ditch there but the OM-10, if you can find it a good home.
But you owe it to yourself to try a 4(T(i)). Unless you need F280 flash
sync, a plain 4 with the later Ti circuit is just as good. There are a
surprising number of them around.

Do OM-1 and 1n, OM-4 and 4T(i) each count as one body type?

I suspect I'll always keep a couple of  OM-1 and/or 1n bodies. I hardly
ever use them for picture taking anymore, but I still love the look,
feel and sound. And they will almost certainly still be working and/or
repairable the longest. I still have my original, non-MD, body. It needs
a prismectomy and new foam, though.

An OM-2n was my main body for many years. I would certainly keep a 2n,
both because I think it's a great camera and because it's likely to be
the longest lived of the auto bodies.

I would keep my black OM-4Ti, and at least 1 of the OM-4 bodies with Ti
circuits. The 4 is my all around favorite body, but nobody knows how
long the circuits will last. Have the bad ones already pretty much
finished giving up the ghost? Or will individual ones keep failing at
some pace?

So that's the 3 types I would keep. I also love the OMPC(40). The ESP
metering is a really big step up from the averaging metering in the
other bodies and my favorite for casual snapping where I don't want to
bother with spot metering. As Skip points out, unfortunately, they
aren't really that reliable for the long haul. I had 4 working bodies
and all 4 circuits still work, but the plastic rewind sleeve has broken
on 1 and, like the circuit, replacements aren't available, so now there
are 3.....

Moose