[OM] Re: Some new PEN FT photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Some new PEN FT photos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:53:39 -0800
Der Eiserne Reiter wrote:

>I am using a Minolta Multi II with a slide feeder; Vuescan for half format,
>and the Minolta
>software for 35mm and MF. Due to the feeder, for 35mm and half format I do
>autofocus on
>a given point in the picture.

That is supposed to be a pretty good scanner. I guess the focus business
is just a Minolta thing? Not quite enough DOF for the way they hold the
film maybe. I'm just used to my Canon of about the same resolution, but
35mm only. It scans the whole frame to autofocus and the scan is equally
in focus everywhere. I never even think about focus.

>Maybe I should scan separately for web publication ?

No, I said NeatImage didn't add anything for the web. It doesn't take
anything away either. Just to refresh my memory, I tried a couple of
images. Neatimage default made one better looking at full size and
messed up part of the other, but they both look the same either way when
downsized for the web.

> I have been playing with the idea of buying a flat-bed scanner,
>but couldn't really convince myself (and my better half ...) yet.

Even the best of the Epsons and Canon lines aren't going to give you
much, if any, effective increase in resolution. The jury is still out
for a few days on the improvements Vuescan will make, but with their own
software, neither appears to reach an effective 2800 dpi. Speed and
convenience may be another issue, as you can process multiple images at
once with them.

Moose