[OM] Re: Canon D20

Subject: [OM] Re: Canon D20
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:34:07 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: <jason.gidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> <Jeff Wrote>
> <snip>
> " ***A free adaptor to the die-hard OM users is pretty nice!!!***"
> </snip>
>
> True, but it was a while before they acknowledged it's existence.  The
> slightly cynical could suggest that when/if the takeup of the E-1 wasn't
as
> good as hoped for or expected they laid the bait almost guaranteed to get
> few bites.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Jason.

Olympus has published recommendations that certain OM Zuikos will work over
limited aperture ranges. I believe from their actions they wanted to support
old lenses but they found the performance wasn't acceptable for widespread
use. They supported the luddites very well, while at the same time making no
pretense that their new system could use old lenses.

How many people would be happy buying an E-1, thinking they could use their
old lenses, then mounting their prized 21f2 and finding the performance
wasn't there?

I think Olympus really did do the right thing here!  YMMV

-jeff