[OM] Re: Auto Tubes

Subject: [OM] Re: Auto Tubes
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:51:34 -0500
At 01:01 AM 11/18/04, Jim Brokaw wondered:

>Is this $130 E-1 extension tube multi-coated? For that cost I would hope the
>optics are top notch...!
>--

I looked at a picture of it.  The outside looks as if they used several
different materials in its finish.  That might qualify for a "multi-coated"
appelation.  ;-)

I avoid mounting extension tubes in dusty or smokey environs to optimize
their light transmission.  Like Walt, I clean the optics in mine by blowing
through them.  Tried using a brush, micro-fiber cloth, even my T-shirt, but
that never worked nearly as well.  There is rumor of a special extension
tube optics cleaning kit that will be out on the market next year; should
be sometime around the beginning of April.

-- John Lind