[OM] Re: Ultimate OM1 accessory

Subject: [OM] Re: Ultimate OM1 accessory
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:25:40 -0500
I skimmed the whole site last week, and this is a very neat camera.

In short, it's a refurbished military arial camera with a 9x18" format.  It
uses commercialy available roll film, so no sheet holders.  The lens is a
custom-designed beast meant to deliver maximum performance edge-to-edge (= v.
expensive).  So they take a 9x18" negavite and scan it on a big drum scanner to
arrive at a 4 GigaPixel image, when they then output to a big Lightjet printer.
 Even a contact print from a 9x18" negative would be impressive.

The whole concept is quite conventional, and not super-high tech, but still
SOTA.  The only other way to capture that much information is with a scanning
back (like a Betterlight), or to do stitching of many, small pictures taken
with a conventional DSLR like Max Lyons has done here:
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/gigapixel.htm.  Both of those techniqes do
not allow for the capture of moving elements, which is the big benefit of the
gigapixl camera.

Skip