[OM] Re: Off the wall guestion about close up lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Off the wall guestion about close up lenses
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:15:20 -0500
Typically, manufacturer-branded filters are ridiculously priced, as people
think that they're better-matched, better-made, blah, blah.  I just think that
C is trying to rip their users off.  Leica doesn't even make their filters, and
charges more than the "real" maker: Heliopan.

These days, I buy exclusively B+W Multi-coated filters, which will give you the
best results and the coatings are very, very durable, IME.  Hoya also makes a
highly-regarded Multi-coated filter, but I've heard that they scratch much more
easily than the B+W (no experience).

B&H pricing is weird:

All 58mm

B+W non-MC +1, +2, or +3: $21.00
Canon: $87.00 or $40.00, proprietary designation
Hoya HMC +3, +4, +5: $138.00 (weird that one filter is $138, while a set is
$65!?)
Hoya HMC Set +1,+2,+3: $65.00

I'd buy the Hoya HMC set or the B+W filter individually

Skip