[OM] Re: Louie is sick. Help me help him!

Subject: [OM] Re: Louie is sick. Help me help him!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:38:13 -0800
Walt Wayman wrote:

>in either manual or auto mode, Louie's mirror flops up and the shutter closes,
>and then everything stops.  If I slightly loosen the battery compartment cap,
>then press it lightly with a finger, while holding the camera upside down, the
>shutter finishes what it started and the mirror comes back down.
>
>Louie is 20 years old and has never been to the doctor, so unless somebody has
>an easy cure, that is, one not requiring major disassembly, he's going off to
>see John.  A complete checkup and CLA should do him good anyway.

Well, I'd have his bottom off (Oh Lord, here come the comedians, duck!)
to check out the wire to the battery compartment spring and its
connection to same. I'd also clean out the threads on the cap and socket
throughly. While I had the bottom off, I'd also make sure the screws
that hold it on are clean. You can check the resistance from the threads
the cap fits into to the body to make sure that end of the connection is
good. The current has to go through the battery => cap => bottom plate
=> screws => camera frame. Lots of places for dirt, corrosion, etc. to
raise the resistance - and it could be cumulative. All the other
functions of the camera require very low currents where the voltage drop
from a low, but not low enough, resistance is minor. It is only when the
mirror goes up and the magnets start to operate that higher current is
needed. And that is when the low voltage protection circuit kicks in if
the voltage under that load is too low.

Moose