[OM] Re: Level photography ;-), was [photo] Fall Mist

Subject: [OM] Re: Level photography ;-), was [photo] Fall Mist
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:24:55 -0500
on 2004/11/20 4:48 AM, Chris Barker at ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have become quite sensitive to slightly off-level photos and I wonder
> how I get myself to that position (RQ)*.  On the other hand, the
> left-hand bank of the river might be slightly higher in elevation than
> the right which lead the viewer to suppose that it is out of true
> horizontally.
>
> What do others do to avoid the need to rotate an image after processing?

That's interesting - I hadn't noticed. Then I realized I habitually sit left
of the monitor and above, so I have to tilt my head slightly to look. I
think I'd better fix that before I need a chiropractor. :-)

The water is definitely tilted. And it isn't flowing.

I have a framed photo by an acquaintance of a harbor in Ireland, with the
waves rolling in. Trouble is, a slight tilt makes it look as though the
harbor is about to flow over the doomed town. One day I'll take it to the
framers and get them to tilt it straight again.

I try to watch orientation of lines to the frame edges. I think it also
helps to "block out" our view of the world and concentrate on what's
actually in the viewfinder, otherwise our sense that the scene is properly
oriented can override seeing the tilt in the viewfinder. Nevertheless I've
tilted images when I've let my guard down. I have a 1-10 screen, and maybe I
should put it in.

This was originally a film image wasn't it? Was it scanned straight? If so,
is there any way to physically rotate before scanning?

Andrew