[OM] Re: Level photography ;-), was [photo] Fall Mist

Subject: [OM] Re: Level photography ;-), was [photo] Fall Mist
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 16:59:23 +0000
Joel

I think that you;re right.  A load of photos I took while in Sardinia
last month turned out slanted a little.  Normally the correction
required is only 0.5deg.

That's what I meant in my last email, in response to Richard's.  If it
looks slanted but it is still attractive, why not leave it so?

Chris

On 20 Nov 2004, at 13:59, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> Chris,
> Even with a Hama spirit level, or equivalent, you take your
> chances.  Problem is that OM shoes are rarely square to the film
> plane.  That just wasn't in the blueprint apparently.  You can sort of
> see
> why with the detachable shoes, but even the OM-2S/4(x) are seemingly
> always
> in a state of unsquareness.
>
> I still use a level almost always, even in the mountains where it is
> really
> kind of silly.
>
> There are times when the effect is especially lousy, however.  At the
> Grand
> Canyon I carefully leveled my camera and ended up hating the gentle
> slope
> of the canyon rim into the distant horizon.  "Corrected" all scans in
> Photoshop.  YMMV.
>
> Joel W.

<|_:-)_|>
C M I Barker